Friday, August 12, 2005

Potato issues

Have I never mentioned my potato stews?? Hm that's odd, I could have sworn I did. Anyway, this is what you call in swedish tröstmat, and in plain english you call it comfort food. It's warm and toasty, and it hugs you with that special love only a plateful of carbs can offer. Basically, what I do is, I take some potatoes (the soft kind, that, when boiled or baked, goes all smooshy and half-mashed), peel them and throw them in the microwave, whole as they are. Then I nuke them for, let's say about 15 to 20 minutes, depending on how many potatoes I have. Cook them in the microwave until they are almost done. Then take them out carefully (they are extremely hot at this point) and chop them roughly in six or eight cubes.
What you do next is, you take a pan big enough for the whole amount of potatoes and saute a big onion in olive oil. Add the diced potatoes and then go crazy with spices:D I find that it is really suited to use an assortment of red spices: cayenne pepper, paprica, some kind of grilling spice mix, sweet red (and yellow) curry, and also salt, pepper, powdered garlic, and it's all open as to what spices you can use, seeing as potatoes are so neutral and versatile. You need to turn the potatoes in the pan every which way, and after 10 to 15 minutes, start adding some water gradually, allowing enough time for the water to be absorbed. This will give the potatoes a soft, half-mashed feel (which is great, in my opinion). If you want them slightly crisper, don't use any water. This dish is great paired with a couple of fried eggs, or even plain as a main dish, or as a side dish, or even with a side of feta cheese. The boyfriend goes crazy over this one, which is fine with me, seeing as it's so easy and simple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home