Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Potatolust


I don't know what is up with me lately, but I have been experiencing intense potato cravings (and no, I am not going the family way). I love me a hefty, warm portion of carbohydrates (sadly), pretty much prepared in any way. Baked in the oven with lemon, garlic and oregano, stewed with spices and consumed with a couple of fried eggs, grilled with the skins on and sprinkled heavily with barbeque seasonings, fried in oil and accompanied by feta... But believe it or not, the thing that has really been on my mind lately everytime I think potatoes is a swedish staple: good old fashioned, boiled potatoes in salty water, served only with salted milk butter (the ultimate Bregott!). It's strange, as this is a way of eating potatoes that one would assume is the simplest one of all and least tasty, but they would be wrong! Wrong I tell you!
I do assume that this phase will pass.. I do tend to have whole periods when I am craving something very specific. Usually though, it tends to be rice dishes, as it just so happens. This used to happen when I was living as a poor student in Corfu, and I would visit home every two to three months. Right before I started the long travel home all the way to Athens, I would call my mother and she would always ask me what dish she should make for me. For a whole year I would always request oven-baked okra (or lady-fingers, as some people call them) in tomato sauce with chicken, and then I had a thing for yiouvarlakia (a lemony, intensely warm soup with contains a kind of meatball with rice). Greek food is awesome :D
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 04, 2006 7:43:00 PM, Blogger Annabooklover said...

Hi Katerina, I just found your blog from another one and i love it.
I just wanted to tell you that doctors say that when we crave for a certain food it's actually our body's way of telling us we need a specific ingredient, or vitamin or protein or whatever. SO enjoy your potatoes guilt-free! Lucky you spending Xmas in Sweden where everything is Christmasy!

 
At Wednesday, January 04, 2006 9:22:00 PM, Blogger Katerina said...

Hi there! Glad to see new faces! Or nicknames anyway.. You know, I've never been one to visciously deny my cravings- my own excuse is usually that it MUST be my body that needs it ;) Not to mention I always love the extremely versatile nature of the potato. I can't imagine what it must be like for all those poor souls on low carb diets that can't enjoy such a simple, wonderful thing as the potato!
Greetings from snowy and quite cold Sweden!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home