Thursday, March 16, 2006

All the way from Kiev

I took some exams in swedish recently, wanting to go on and start some actual lessons, so I can get a better handle on grammar and also to get used to talking in swedish a little more. And also to meet some new people. It is surprisingly difficult to meet people in Sweden, everyone is so suspicious. The worse thing is that you also find yourself influened by that climate as well. It takes a lot of effort to not get sucked in.
Anyway, I passed the first exam quite easily, which means I have managed to avoid approximately 3 years of classes, and all that based on what I've learned from TV jingles and observation. Pretty pleasing. You might be pleased to know I kicked the proverbial ass of the test. 95%. And this little treat to the left is what I made to celebrate with the fiance, although it is really the time before Easter and we were supposed to be trying to avoid meat for a while. Especially with all this bird flu business, we shouldn't be eating fowl at all, but as it were, Sweden must be the only country where all the bird flu talk has gotten people to eat even MORE chicken than before... Weird people!
The above concoction is carefully constructed by pounding some chicken fillets (not too carefully), so they spread out. Careful to not overdo it, so the meat will still be intact and won't have "holes" in it. Next, you mash up 1 to 2 cloves of garlic, half a tablespoon of butter, salt, pepper and some chopped parsley, zap it in the microwave a little (only a few seconds, you don't want the butter to be all runny, just soft and manageable). Mix everything up and add the flavoured butter to the centre of the fillet, rolling it up and pinning the edges with toothpicks. Sprinkle a bit of parsley on top, season well and drizzle a bit of oil, and then cook until you reach the desired appearance. I expect it would go nicely with a side of mashed potatoes. My own sidedish was a grilled butternut squash and sweet potato dish I'm saving for later posting. :)

2 Comments:

At Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:44:00 PM, Blogger Xenia Extempore said...

Congratulations Nina, soon you'll be working professionally in swedish, too! i also want to lean back and pamper myself, but one week more going... kiss*

 
At Thursday, March 16, 2006 11:48:00 PM, Blogger Katerina said...

I know! Isn't it exciting! I never would have imagined I would have learned swedish this easily.. Perhaps direct immersion is a better method after all.
I am working as we speak darling, but I will have at least half the day all to myself tomorrow.. You know how it is with us freelancers: work while the work is there, because you never know what happens later! *kuss kuss*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home