Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Soup du jour


Grilled tomato and garlic soup Posted by Picasa

you'll need: tomatoes, garlic, spices and milk.
The above, I think, came to me through the form of Jamie Oliver again. I'm not exactly sure if it had anything directly to do with a specific recipe or not. I have a hard time sticking to recipes, unless they are for baking. I don't want to take any chances with baking, usually. But everything else is fair game.
The above is very very simple, but it will take a little bit of time to prepare. You chop your nice ripe, big and juicy tomatoes and arrange them on a baking tray, adding a lot of garlic cloves. How many really depends on you. I love the rich flavour of grilled garlic! The trick here is to separate the cloves, but not peel them, just give them a bash with something heavy, so they will split, but still retain the peel. Season with salt, pepper and some spices of your choice. It can easily be basil, fresh or dry. It's the best choice for this soup. Alternatively, you can use thyme or oregano. Or be creative.
Grill the tomatoes and garlic on high temperature until the edges are a little sooty. Then scoop everything into your blender, blend well and pour everything in a pot. Slowly bring to a simmer and add milk progressively, not too much at a time, so you can stop at your preferred form and density of soup. Keep tasting the soup, making sure it's well seasoned. It is truly so full of taste, the way soups usually aren't. I accompanied it with a simple wrap (tortilla) with mayonnaise, ham and cucumber, just to have a bit of something to chew on on the side.

4 Comments:

At Thursday, February 09, 2006 12:32:00 PM, Blogger Magica de Spell said...

I will try it this evening.
Keep on.

 
At Thursday, February 09, 2006 4:42:00 PM, Blogger Katerina said...

Let me know how it works out! I'd love some feedback, especially from an expert :)

 
At Friday, February 10, 2006 9:04:00 AM, Blogger Magica de Spell said...

check my blog!
Thanks again.

 
At Monday, February 13, 2006 3:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that looks AMAZING!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home