Sunday, August 06, 2006

Zucchini carpaccio with rosemary and raspberry vinegar


Last night we had some friends over for a last minute dinner type of situation, so I had to think fast, as I only had an hour and a half before they were due to come over. I had just finished all my tomatoes at lunchtime, making a cool gazpacho, so the salad options were minimal: all I had was lots of zucchini. I remember having seen a recipe mentioned on Chocolate & Zucchini for a zucchini carpaccio... All it took was the seed of an idea, and this is the version I came up with:
I sliced one large zucchini in very very thin slices and arranged it in a circle on a large plate. I chopped a couple of handfulls of fresh raspberries (fresh berry season in Sweden) and put it in a shaker with some olive oil, white vinegar and a couple of tablespoons of sugar (it's important to make it rather sweet). I salted and peppered the raw zucchini (YES you can eat it raw hehe), drizzled some more olive oil on it and then shook the vinaigrette and drizzled that on top as well. I finished it off with a sprinkling of rosemary and some chopped rocket. It is necessary to let the dish stand for about 10-15 minutes, preferably not in the fridge, but somewhere cool nevertheless. The longer it stands, the more the tastes are absorbed by the zucchini. We enjoyed our unorthodox salad as a starter. Lovely!

7 Comments:

At Thursday, August 24, 2006 11:08:00 PM, Blogger ATHENA said...

SOUNDS TEMPTING,

I ADORE RAW ZUCCHINI SALADS
(TASTED THEM IN ITALY SOME 25 YEARS AGO...)

IT'S A PITTY WE DON'T HAVE THAT MUCH BERRIES IN GREECE
(IN ATHENS THAT IS, BECAUSE IN THE COUNTRY WE HAVE THE SWEETEST WILD BLACKBERRIES FROM AUGUST TO OCTOBER)

 
At Thursday, September 07, 2006 9:19:00 PM, Blogger Xenia Extempore said...

Nina, we are missing you at bbb, stylekotze, and I am missing you personally;) I hope you are having a great time!

 
At Sunday, September 24, 2006 11:20:00 PM, Blogger Strangeliz said...

MIAMI..looks delicious!

 
At Monday, February 05, 2007 11:05:00 PM, Blogger Glow Sticks said...

It's the simplest thing after toast... lol. Really nice it looks. Yoda I am not. Imitating him I am. Βαρετό το comment :P

 
At Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:01:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks so delicious. I am looking forward more posts from you!

 
At Wednesday, June 10, 2009 7:48:00 PM, Anonymous Dave Jones said...

i'm visiting your blog first time...sounds delicious.

 
At Sunday, March 06, 2011 12:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nina, I have popped over from Debra's Daily Dialogue https://debrasdailydialogue.blogspot.com

The Zucchini sounds lovely and looks good too. I'm def going to try this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home