Friday, May 12, 2006

Zucchini, carrots, sausages...



When I'm cooking, I seldom actually pick out a recipe, shop specifically for it and then use the ingredients as the recipe dictates. I usually go sniffing around the fridge and my vegetable racks to see what I have, and then I start to think what I can make from what I already have. I think it is a practical way of adapting to the circumstances.
This is a hybrid dish put together from two ingredients I usually have at home: zucchini and carrots. Paired with a pack of spicy sausages, this was more vegetable crunch than meat dish. And that's the way we like it around these parts.
Chop the carrots, the zucchini, an onion, an abundant amount of garlic cloves (abundant is a personal matter, I won't assume to know how much you would like to include), half a chilli pepper (again, you can totally omit this step or even double it, totally depends on you, really). Saute the chopped goods in olilve oil, starting with the garlic and potential chilli, adding the onion, seasoning with salt and sugar and then adding the carrots and the zucchini. Cook until the vegetables are softening up, then add the sausages. When the sausages are thoroughly cooked, add a can of chopped tomatoes (or, for the reactionaries, you can chop your own..), mix in, and add two to three tablespoons of mango chutney, black pepper, and your guess is as good as mine after that. I think there was some rosemary in the equation, and also some oregano. When I get in the zone, I tend to forget exactly which spices I used.. The key here is to keep it sweet, spicy hot and salty enough. As always, build up the the spicy stuff and the salt gradually, so you won't end up using too much.
We had this dish with a side of fried rice with sweetcorn.

3 Comments:

At Sunday, May 14, 2006 11:34:00 PM, Blogger Katerina said...

Thank you! It's really the most practical way to go about it, isn't it :)
I am also a big fan of the "chuck a ton of vegetables and (optionally) something meaty in the pan and call it a day" method. Works like a charm everytime, because, as the fiance says, it's not so much about which basic foodstuff you use, but more about how you cook it, season it and what spices you use.

 
At Wednesday, May 24, 2006 2:34:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neenles, I'm from Saving Face. We miss you there still.
Chonesy has finally been banned. I hated the way you were treated there. Thought you would like to know. Sorry to use this forum but I couldn't access your email.


Your blog is wonderful!

Politesse

 
At Wednesday, May 24, 2006 9:50:00 AM, Blogger Katerina said...

Hi and thanks for your interest:) Glad that someone at last realized what was going on. I got your PM, by the way, thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home