Saturday, March 11, 2006

Mash with sage and favourite grilled vegetables

Me and the fiance went bookshophopping today, and I came back with a good amount of new cookbooks. Three to be exact. A new old Jamie Oliver (the first one actually, I think. Well, the one with the rank hair and a matching shirt... But he is so cute, I can't help but forgive him for that lapse of judgement :D). Apart from that one, I also got a bargain on a vietnamese cookbook, and I am a bit excited about getting some fresh ideas from that. And I also got one more cookbook entitled "Kokskolan", which means cooking school in swedish, which I actually bought for 10 kronor. Which is about one euro. Which is a bit of ridiculous price to pay for any kind of book, I suppose.
While I was looking at the cookbooks and trying to decide which one to buy, one recipe caught my eye (or more like an idea), I think it was in a Jamie Oliver book, but I'm not entirely sure. Anyway, here it is:
Creamy, thick mashed potatoes flavoured with sage and topped off with grilled vegetables in balsamico sauce.
I think we all know how to make the mashed potatoes. Try and aim for a thick mash, even leaving a few lumps in the mix. You can also add a little bit of olive oil, to get things mixed easier. Flavour with sage, or maybe you fancy some other green herb, and you're done.

The topping is a delicious mix of favourite vegetables, tomato, crushed and unpeeled garlic, red bell pepper roughly chopped and thick chunks of zucchini and aubergine. Top everything off with olive oil, balsamico, sugar, salt, pepper and basil and bake until your veg has the appearance you can pretty much see in the pic. Moist and soft, but also crunchy at the edges. The key I think is to cook for a long time in medium heat, until most of the juices have been absorbed. Don't serve this dish if there is lots of water in the tray, as your vegetables will be more like boiled than grilled, and that just does not do them justice. Don't forget to taste things along the way, to make sure you haven't forgotten any seasoning or that you don't need more of something.


Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home